Why planning sucks?

By Divyanshi - May 10, 2020


Let’s admit it, planning sucks.

I have spent half of my most productive time, planning life and what I got in return, absolutely nothing, just some self-criticizing thoughts that why I sucked in my life, that I can’t even abide by my plans.
I feel all of us plan a lot of ttings whether it is new year goals, a holiday, goals and have they ever gone by your plan, NOPE. Recently, I was reading a book, ‘Rework by Jason Fried’ and this book combined with my own experiences provided me with great insights that made me realize why I was sucking at this game called life.
These words changed my attitude towards life:-

1) “Planning is just guessing”


credit-Giphy

I read this line in the book mentioned above and it changed my thinking by a 360 degree angle because I realized planning just involves guessing the events of your life beforehand and assuming that things will happen just the way you plan and lets just face it, the world in your mind is not reality and life is all about change so how will you able to change your life, reach your successful destination if you stick with a plan that has no relation with reality. This is the reason I was unable to achieve anything because instead of actually doing things, I was just wasting my time planning things.

2) “Planning means just wasting time on inconsequential details instead of moving to next task”


Credit-Giphy

I don’t know if this is the thing with you but you know when I make a plan, I spend a lot of time on detailing. I search google to make sure that I am doing the right thing, scan infinite articles that how things should be done exactly, I spend the whole day coming with a perfect, mind blowing plan, plan that is going to change my life and the next day I am getting up at 12 afternoon, making excuses in my mind that why shall I start with my plan tomorrow and the never-ending cycle continues. You know if I would have not wasted my time on this, I am betting you I would have been the next Ambani, okay a bit exaggeration at least I would have been a better me.

3) “Planning before doing the exact thing is utter stupidity”


Credit- Giphy

I realized I am making a plan before doing the actual thing which is the worst time to make a decision, when I will do the actual thing then only I will experience it, so how can I make a list of directives before experiencing the particular action. Thus, the utter stupidity of my action came into light.

4) “Decide what you are going to do today, this week not the whole damn year”


Credit- Giphy

You know every month a sought of intrinsic motivation rises in me and I decide I am going to change my life, I make a plan for the whole year and forget about my life changing plan the next day, see here is the flaw a time period of one year is little too much, decide what you are going to do this week, forget even the week, just decide what you are going to do today and stick with it, day by day I swear you are going to experience that how your life has changed.

5) “Plans make you rigid”


Credit-Giphy

I made a plan for studying for my finals and suddenly some family functions came my way and you know what I was devastated because my plan was ruined, it felt like experiencing a break up, I was unable to get over it, I opted for emotional coping strategy, my plan failed and my expectation over my results for finals failed too. So summing up my whole experience, I realized my plan made me rigid and an earlier learning hit my brain that rigidity equates to a fixed mindset, flexibility equates to a growth mindset. My plans, instead of making me reach new heights, were pushing me down. So I came up with a new plan, to burn my plans.

CONCLUSION-

Planning is just an avoidance coping strategy, it is an activity which just gives a false satisfaction, that you are not wasting your time, you are doing something related to the real task. Nope people, I am not shouting at you like, “DON’T YOU DARE TO MAKE A PLAN”, make plans but remember they are just crutches, they are just present there to give you a direction, they are not a destination in themselves. I was able to write this blog because I didn’t waste time on planning. Instead I put my ass on the chair and typed whatever was coming in my mind.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments